Tuesday, January 19, 2010

3 weeks old

Today Ryker is exactly 3 weeks old. His first two weeks of life he was having a hard time gaining weight, only gaining an average of 15 grams a day, when his doctor said he needed to be gaining between 20 and 30 grams a day. The reason for this lack of weight gain was because he had reflux really badly, and was spitting up most of his food. This was also making him pretty fussy, understandably. So, I went to a natural health clinic and had them test me on what foods I should and should not eat for Ryker. Turns out, there are a ton of foods I can't eat. Such as wheat, milk, lots of different kinds of nuts, certian fruits and veggies. I'm on a super strict diet now, but at least my baby is finally gaining weight well (he's now up to 7lbs 5oz, gaining an impressive 40 grams a day in the last week), and a positive side effect for me is that I'm losing weight. Anyway, here are some pics from my phone from the last few weeks. Now, thanks to my mom, future pictures should be better since I now I have a camera. Enjoy these cute pics of my little guy!


Daddy and baby Ryker at the hospital


Ryker is a pretty funny sleeper. Here's one of how he likes to sleep with his hands up. It's kind of a weird angle because I was holding him and trying to take the picture at the same time.



Look at how little he is. His clothes are all so big for him.



This is another cute pic of daddy and baby. Adam does a great job of calming him down at night. I think this is one of the nights he was on baby duty.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've found what works for you and the baby, diet-wise! It's tough, but such a blessing to know what does/doesn't 'cause problems!
    He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had trouble at the beginning but I'm so glad you didn't have to give up breastfeeding!
    Darling little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Melissa! I am so sorry! I went through something similar with my little one. Hers was/is milk. She cried and vomited all.the.time!! It was horrible and very trying! It's an adjustment as a mom at first trying to figure out what you can and cannot eat, but it does get easier, I promise!! In fact, when I could finally eat "real food" again, I had a hard time re-adjusting. :) AND you lose so much weight quickly when you're on a restricted diet! I'm sorry you had to go through that!

    He's adorable! When can I come see him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing more fun and exhausting than having a brand new baby. I am so happy for you. Sera had reflux also. Changing diet did not even work for me. I ended up putting her on reflux meds. So sad but she stopped throwing up and she ate better and started gaining weight so I am happy

    ReplyDelete