Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Pregnancy Story

As some of you may know, Adam and I have been working on doing foster care to adopt. We went through all of the classes and paperwork and the only things we had left to do was get our physical and home study done. So a couple of weeks ago I finally made an appointment for both of us to go in on a Tuesday. The day before the appointment I was nauseous all day long so I thought I was coming down with something. Tuesday I was still feeling a little sick, but I didn't think much about it.

At my Dr. apt, they did all the tests and said everything looked perfect. Then the Dr noticed I hadn't had a period in a couple months, but I assured him I wasn't pregnant because that was totally normally for me. In fact, in the last year I had only had two periods due to my PCOS and other health conditions. But then I had a thought about my sister-in-law Misty, who had just found out a few days earlier that she was pregnant after she assured the Dr she was not. So, I asked how much more it would cost me to get a pregnancy test. When they told me $20 I changed my mind (after all you can buy them at the dollar store!). I went home and didn't really think anything of it.

The next day I was sick again and I had the feeling in the back of my mind that I really should take a pregnancy test, but I honestly tried to ignore it. As anyone who has ever had a hard time getting pregnant knows, pregnancy tests suck! You can only see negative so many times before you want to cry and throw the dang pee stick out the window. I've done so many tests over the last couple years that I thought multiple times I should buy stock in the pregnancy test companies!

So, finally by noon, I brought myself to pee on another one of those dang sticks, and sure enough it came back positive. I immediately called the Dr I had been working with on my most recent weight loss program. I had been doing HCG, and I wanted to make sure that there was no way possible that it was still in my system. I had been off of it for two weeks, but I really needed to know it was out of my system (it actually only takes 3 days to get out). After he assured me there was no possible way it was still in my system from the diet, I called Adam at work and told him the news. I then went to a pregnancy clinic and had them test me two more times just to make sure I was really, really pregnant. Sure enough, they confirmed that I was really, really pregnant.

The problem was, because I hadn't had a period since February, they had no idea how far along I was. And, since I was on the HCG diet, and HCG is also used as a fertility treatment because it stimulates ovulation and the dropping of multiple eggs, they couldn't tell me without an ultrasound if I was pregnant with one or multiple babies. Unfortunately I couldn't get in to see a doctor for two more weeks so I spent the next two weeks wondering what was in my body (and feeling very sick!).

So, I was finally able to get in to see the OB last week. He confirmed my due date to be January 23rd, and that I am only pregnant with one baby (whew!). I was able to see the little lima bean's heart beat, which was pretty cool, and Doc says everything looks good so far.

As you can imagine, Adam and I are very excited. And as I said in my last post, we're both pretty sure we're having a girl. Unfortunately, I have been super nauseous for the last few weeks, that is until I realized part of what was making me feel so sick (besides the little lima bean growing inside of me), and that is, MEAT! I can't eat meat without almost immediately feeling sick. Sometimes just the smell makes me feel sick. So, as of Monday this week, I am now a temporary vegetarian. As soon as I cut out animal protein, I started feeling much better. Amazingly, I've found that I really don't miss meat. Probably because even the thought of it right now makes me feel a little queezy. And, since I'm new to this way of eating, I am totally lacking in recipes and dinner ideas. So, if you have any good vegetarian recipes, please pass them my way! I could really use them right now!

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't look at/cook/eat/think about meat for awhile with my first pregnancy, it made me so sick . . . that's when Greg actualy found out he liked to cook, is when the mere smell of water in the kitchen sink made me nauseous. And now he cooks at least a few nights a week, making that nausea well worth it in the end :-)
    Good luck with everything, and the nausea will be over before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, this brings back memories. When I was pregnant, I couldn't stand to eat or look at chicken. But I found that if I ate celery throuhout the day then the nausea would go away for the most part. And because I was so sick for the entire 1st 20 weeks my DR told me that if you are sick than that means that the baby is healthy. So just think of it as a good sign that you are sick! :) By the way CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Melissa!! We are so excited for you!! Good luck with your morning sickness. I wish you a swift relief from that! I look forward to all your pregnancy updates, it is sure exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! That's great. It's been a long road, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. You and Heather schory are about a week apart in due dates. Now pray for me. I am getting frustrated. I dont think I could handle another miscarriage.

    ReplyDelete