Friday, March 20, 2009

The Problems of Eating Healthy & Exercising

For those of you who know me and Adam very well, you know we can be pretty cheap, or what's the politically correct term, frugal. Especially when it comes to clothes. In 2008, between both of us, we spent a grand total of $250 on shoes and clothes. Not per person, total. And it's only that high because I had to buy a new business suit, and those things aren't cheap!

So, to my point, over the last three months I've managed to lose a grand total of 39 pounds. That's great right, well yes and no. Great because I really needed to lose weight and be healthier, not so great because that means that none of my pants fit me anymore. This brings me to the Problems with eating healthy and exercising:
  1. I can now put my pants on and take them off without undoing them at all, and if I don't wear a belt, they fall down completely. Now I need to go buy new clothes. I'm still hoping to lose more weight in the next few months, so I especially don't want to buy more clothes just to have them no longer fit in three months and have to do it all over again.
  2. I've started walking, running, exercising more, which means my workout shoes are now worn out and I need new ones. Good quality running shoes cost like $70! Yeah right!
  3. Healthy food is expensive, thus our grocery budget has gone up! Bad news for cheap people.
  4. Since I've been eating lower calorie foods, so has Adam, meaning HE'S losing weight without meaning to. Adam really does not need to lose any weight. So quit it, would you Adam! :)
  5. Once you start losing weight, everyone wants to know how much you've lost and how much more you have to go. Well, I'm sorry people, but it's embarassing to think how much weight I really needed to lose in the first place. So after 40 pounds, I'm not telling!
  6. All this exercise has helped me realize something, I LOVE EXERCISE! I know, crazy, but I absolutely love to work out, and even though I work at a gym, I'm so dang busy I don't get to work out nearly enough. So now it's like I have this massive craving and I can't fulfill it, which is making me a little nutty.

So what's the moral of the story you ask? Well, if you're thinking about eating healthier and exercising, be prepared to spend a lot of money and be prepared to be frustrated with sometimes embarassing questions and answers, and with not being able to fulfill your cravings (whether those be food or otherwise). One last thing, dang you men who lose weight without even trying! :)

3 comments:

  1. Totally keep working out. I am sure that you look fabulous. I wish that I could find the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa you are amazing. It takes so much time and dedication to work out consistently enough to get that far, you deserve to feel very proud of yourself!
    I bet it feels really good too. I need to start working out more to feel healthy, I miss the muscle and I've been feeling a little blah lately, I'm sure it's from sitting at a desk and not being active. I think I'm going to start that p90x program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob and I went to the doctor's for a physical and on the form that asked about our habits there was a section of 4 questions:
    Do you use tobacco?
    Do you use illicit drugs?
    Do you drink alcohol?
    Do you exercise?

    We checked no to all and told the doctor that we try to avoid all those bad habits. :)
    But then he told me my blood pressure was a bit high as well as my cholesterol and exercise would help both. Darn. :/ I need to find a love for exercise like you have!!

    Amen to the expensive part though!! I often lament that fact when other people tell me how little they spend on food each week! (And the clothes part...I save a few pants from every size I've ever been and then I don't have to spend more money on clothes when I go up or down...I got the "frugal" gene too!) I feel for ya!

    ReplyDelete