Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Rolo Detour

Since we haven't been able to have kids yet, most of our cute and funny stories in our home end up involving our dogs, especially Rolo. This is one of my favorites of those stories.

A couple weeks ago Adam had already gone to work when I went out to leave and found that one of my tires had a screw in it & was completely flat. Since I depend on Adam to fix all things car related and he wasn't home, I was at a total loss of what to do with the car, so I called my wonderful and brilliant sister-in-law Julie. Shortly thereafter, Julie came over with her tire fixing stuff and was ready to fix my tire (it's wonderful having a sister-in-law that's a mechanic & way smarter than me!).

Julie has a three year old boy and a 5 month old girl, so I took the kids in the house while Julie worked her tire magic (I would be no help to her outside, that was for sure). Of course the first thing Rolo did when we came in the house was bring the 3 yr old a toy to play fetch. So Rolo & 3yr old nephew are happily playing fetch when baby niece starts to cry. Now this is Rolo's first experience being around a baby so I really wasn't sure what she would do. The first thing Rolo did was bring the baby one of her toys. Makes sense. Toys make Rolo happy, so her toy would surly make baby niece happy.

Well that didn't work, so then Rolo comes back and licks baby niece's leg, Voila! Baby niece stops crying. Then anytime baby niece would start to fuss Rolo would come over, put her head on baby niece's lap (while baby niece poked Rolo in the eye & examined her) & if baby niece didn't stop fussing, Rolo would lick her and all would be better.

The best part was towards the end when Julie was finishing up her tire magic. Nephew sat down with a sigh and said, “Whew. I'm tired. I'm done now.” That's great, my dog can tire out a three year old. I'll definitely have to keep her around for when I have kids!

3 comments:

  1. Cute story! Can I borrow Rolo to tire Anslie out?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too cute! Even as a dog, she has mothering instincts. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute that Rolo would understand that she was upset and try to keep her happy!! Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete