Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fun Date Night

Last night Adam and I had a unique and fun date night. We went sky diving and rock climbing! Well, sort of. In Ogden there is a sky diving simulation tunnel called iFly. There are only 6 in the US. We were lucky enough to get two free tickets for the one here. We had to do a 30-minute training class before hand and then we were each going to be able to do two jumps. We got all geared up and were ready to go in the tunnel with our instructor.

Adam went first, and after a couple seconds got the hang of it and was flying around the tunnel. Next was my turn and I was pretty excited. I've never had a fear of heights (which is good because there was only a little net beneath you so all the air could get through and push you up. It was quite the drop beneath the net!). I was having fun flying for about 30 seconds when I realized I couldn't breath. The 85mph air pushing me up felt like it was choking me so I signaled my instructor I needed to get down. When he got me down I explained I was having a hard time breathing, so he explained when you're sky diving you can't breath through your nose, you have to breath through your mouth (that would have been good to know ahead of time). Anyway, he had me jump back in and I finished out my first flight. It was fun, but it was still hard for me to breath (my history of asthma probably didn't help).

Adam then went again and this time the instructor grabbed onto him (there were handles on our jumping suits) and they went spinning in circles and way high up the tunnel. It was pretty cool to watch and Adam says pretty fun. When it was time for my second jump I decided I wasn't ready to fight breathing again so I just asked if Adam could take my second jump, which he was happy to do. On Adam's third jump the instructor showed him how to do some flips. It was pretty cool, but one time Adam almost flipped out of the tunnel, but the instructor caught him.

All in all the sky diving experience was pretty fun. Next time though, I'll be better prepared to breath properly, and we'll get pictures so we can post them!

We were also lucky enough to get free tickets to a rock climbing place, so we headed there next. The instructor taught us how to belay for each other, which was pretty cool. Adam climbed first and went all the way to the top, which was about three or four stories up. He climbed so fast I had a hard time keeping up with him and keeping a tight rope. The first time I brought him down pretty slow because I was afraid to drop him. We switched and I started climbing. I made it about half way up and realized my arms are weak! I couldn't figure out where to go from there so I had him bring me down (which he did much more quickly than I had brought him down). I rested a minute & started climbing again. This time Adam helped me figure out which grips to hold on to. Thankfully he is a much better belayer than me, so I didn't get as tired. I made it almost all the way to the top, but my arms were finally too tired to be able to use the tiny grips at the top (the grips got harder the farther up you went).

After that Adam jumped up and climbed a new route. Again I had a hard time keeping up with him (especially since my forearms were tired from climbing myself a few minutes before) He went on a much tougher climb this time around, but he was still able to do it really well. When he was done, I brought him down a lot faster (sometimes, a little too fast I have to admit). In the end, I realized I really need to build my upper body strength more! My legs did totally fine and didn't even come close to giving out, but arms were a whole other story.

Anyway, fun date night! And the best part, it was free! Can't beat free tickets!

3 comments:

  1. Cool!!! Sounds like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun!

    I can totally see the breathing thing being hard! I have a hard time breathing when there is wind blowing in my face, but I never thought about that in connection with sky-diving...not that I'd ever be brave enough to try. :P

    How do you land/get out of the wind tunnel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing experience, how lucky that you got tickets for free! I think I'd prefer the wind tunnel sky diving over the real thing. Heights scare me.

    ReplyDelete