Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Good Dental Assistants are Hard to Find

I had a dentist appointment today at which I was to get one old filling fixed, a new cavity filled, and a good old fashioned cleaning. I had no pain whatsoever when I went to the dentist this afternoon, and now I'm honestly in a ton of pain. Why do you ask, well, I must admit, I kind of blame the dental assistant that helped my dentist today. I made her mad, and that was apparently the thing to do if I wanted her to be rough on me.

Here's what happened. Nice Mr. Grandpa Dentist (don't know his name, but he was an older gentleman, and very nice) was working on the left side of my mouth giving me all kinds of numbing shots and then his other dental work. As you all know, laying upside down with your mouth wide open and your teeth being worked on creates a build up of saliva in the mouth. Hence, the lovely sucky thing the dental assistants get to use (I'm sure there's some kind of fancy name for it, but I call it the spit suker, or sucky thing). Well, Mr. Dentist was working for a while and I was getting so much saliva and dental water backup I was actually starting to choke on it. I was starting to panic because I was having a hard time breathing and choking, but since the dentist was in my mouth I couldn't say, “Please miss kind and lovely dental assistant, can you give me the sucky thing?” So, in a panic, I tried to reach over and pat her leg to indicate I really needed the sucky thing. Wow, you would have thought I called her all kinds of bad names, because her response was awful.

She started to yell at me to breath through my nose and I had better get used to it because they were going to be using a lot of water on me today and I couldn't just swallow or get vacuumed any time I wanted. I then quickly apologized (because by now Mr. Dentist was out of my mouth and had made her vacuum up my spit) and asked her to please use the sucky thing as much as possible as I was having a hard time not choking. She actually rolled her eyes at me and made a sneer remark!

The rest of the dental work went okay, until it got to the cleaning part, which nice Mr. Dentist had Ms. Dental Assistant do. Since she pretty much hated me, she was totally rough on the scraper and the polisher. I actually got tears my eyes a couple times from the pain.
So, next time I have a good dental assistant (which honestly, all of the ones I've had in the last couple of years were really good) I will make sure to go out of my way to really lay on the praise and thanks for a job well done. All of you good dental assistants out there, thank you! And please, will you be my dental assistant next time?

3 comments:

  1. So sorry! Man! She was a JERK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Witch! From seeing dental stuff with my dentist brother-in-law, and following kelly around the dental school, everyone who works with dental knows that patients can't talk when they are getting worked on. Dentists ask tons of questions but for the patients almost all communication is done with mumbles and gestures. When my brother-in-law does dental work on me and I feel any pain, I start lightly hitting him. They are used to that. If that dental assistant found you rude then she was having an oversensitive day, because she really should be used to it.

    And honestly, I know Dr. Grandpa dentist was nice to you, but it was his responsibility to not let you be treated like that. He should have given her some kind of reminder that she needs to be nice.

    I'm sorry your visit was so rough! :( Tooth pain sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. time to change dentist i would not stand that. i would have them put it in my chart that i don't want "very pretty assistant lady" to work on me anymore.

    ReplyDelete