Friday, August 14, 2009

A problem with being overweight and pregnant

Ever since I entered my second trimester about a month ago, pregnancy has honestly been mostly easy. Sure I still get a little sick now and again, and I have some other not so fun side affects, but for the most part, if you didn't know I was pregnant, it would be hard to tell. I am mostly back to normal eating and I'm also back to exercising 5 or 6 days a week, so that's nice. I have gained some weight, but nothing huge or out of the “normal” range. Maybe this is my pregnancy emotions about to come out, but I have noticed one new problem in my second trimester that is a bit of a struggle for me. The problem is that my belly is starting to get bigger and my capris I've been wearing through my whole pregnancy, are a little too tight around the belly (although still lose everywhere else).

Now, I know you're thinking, you're pregnant, duh, of course your belly is getting bigger. Right, I get that, but here's the catch. Because I'm already a bit overweight, the extra belly growth really does just look like I'm getting chubbier, not pregnant. I have two cute skinny sister-in-laws that are also pregnant, and they are cute pregnant ladies with the “it's obvious it's a baby bump and not fat” thing going on. In fact, it seems like everywhere I go I see a cute little pregnant lady or find out another one of my friends is pregnant (must be that spring lovin' or something!). And don't get me wrong, I think it's great there are so many of us pregos out there. More kids for my baby to play with. I just wish I had the cute pregnant lady thing going on. I, however, have people tell me that I'm still not showing. I know that's supposed to be a compliment, but I would rather have a cute “baby bump” that's clear it's a baby and not a fat deposit, then just look like I'm getting fatter.

So, in answer to all of the people that have been asking for “baby bump” pictures, you're going to have to wait. Right now I mostly just look fat, not pregnant. Maybe in a month or so it'll be more obvious my big belly is carrying a baby, and not just last nights dinner. When that's the case, then I'll post my baby bulge pictures (because by then he'll be more of a bulge than a bump).

In the meantime, I've started wearing maternity shirts, just because they don't have a shirt that says, “Yes, I'm pregnant.” Seriously, someone should make those, I'm sure that would make a lot of people's lives easier. Especially for those of us with some extra fat that would prefer people think everything is baby, even though I know there's obviously fat there helping to hide the baby. Oh well, I'll just live with looking extra chubby right now and I'll just be consoled by the fact that it's all for a good cause.

3 comments:

  1. I HATE that stage--when you look fat instead of pregnant. Hopefully that bump will appear here shortly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I know EXACTLY how you're feeling! It sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've felt like it just looked like I was getting fatter and not the cute prego bump until just the past few weeks ago...then suddenly, POP! It suddenly seemed to pop out and look pregnant! It'll come!!

    ReplyDelete