Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Apple Mom

I just got back from Walmart where I saw the funniest thing, and I have since decided I have a new woman to add to my list of mothers I look up to.

I was on my way up to the cash register to buy my laundry detergent, after I spent probably ten minutes in the Halloween candy isle thinking how much I wanted to buy the candy, but knew I shouldn't (what are they thinking putting the Halloween candy isle next to the laundry detergent anyway!?). Anyway, as I'm walking to the registers I see a young mom, probably about 25 (because anyone younger than me is now considered young) walking into the store with her adorable 3-year-old girl. In this particular store when you walk in the food side you walk right into the produce section. So the little girl and her mom are walking and talking when suddenly, the little girl spots the apple display. She stops mid-sentence, her eyes bulge out of her head, she starts clapping her hands, and screaming in the most excited 3-year-old voice I've ever hear, "Mom, look, apples!" Then she takes off running toward the apples as fast as her little legs could carry her, all the while gleefully screaming, "apples, apples, apples..."

I looked at the mom to see if she had a surprised look, but no, she was just smiling and said, "Yes, honey apples. You may get some." Wow, watching this little girl one would think she spotted Princess Island or Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory, but no, she was this excited over apples! And her mom didn't seem the least bit surprised. Like, "Oh yeah, my daughter gets this excited over apples all the time." All I have to say is, You go Apple Mom! and Can I be like you when I grow up into a Mom?

2 comments:

  1. Baahaha! That's so funny! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a few weeks there when Annie would ask for a snack, then say, "Either sugar snap peas or carrots," and I thought I would be the happiest Mommy in all the land. But, it didn't last, and she's back to wanting fruit snacks. :-) (Although, 100% fruit leather is usually an appropriate substitution that I can feel good about and that she'll agree to!)

    ReplyDelete