Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gratitude

In the last few weeks since Ryker was born, I have been overwhelmed with my feeling of gratitude. I have truly been blessed and have sooo much to be grateful for, and I really just needed to write it down somewhere. So here are the things I've been thinking about lately.

1. I'm grateful for my wonderful husband. I just finished reading a novel where the two main characters "were in love" and I have to say, they don't know what love is. Love is a verb, and one that Adam has figured out. You know it's love when he holds the bucket for you to puke in, stays up for two days straight with you to offer support, takes his one night a week to sleep in and trades it for baby duty so I can sleep, puts up with my emotional mood swings so well that we're laughing about them a few minutes later, says sorry even when he knows he did nothing wrong but it will make me feel better and we can go back to normal and laugh at it later, is willing to come home after a 14 hour day and do dishes and laundry without complaint just because I didn't have energy to do anything all day, and sooo much more. Seriously, if all love is was what was described in a novel, staring at each other longingly and all that jazz, then this would be a sad world.

2. I'm grateful for my family. First, Adam and my beautiful baby boy. I love my baby more than words, but being a mom is one of the hardest things I've ever done, although it's also one of the most wonderful things I've ever done. Second, my extended family, both my side and Adam's side. It's great to have such supportive and fun people in my life.

3. I am super grateful we live in the basement apartment at Adam's parent's house! This has been the hugest blessing, especially since having the baby. Since Adam is currently in school full time and working full time, that means he's not home very often, which means I'm on my own a lot with the baby. I love my baby, but sometimes I need a break, even if just for an hour so I can run to the grocery store without exposing my newborn to germs, or so I can take a shower without having to jump out a few minutes into it because the baby started screaming. Having someone right upstairs to help with the baby at a moment's notice, like the other night when Ryker needed a priesthood blessing at 1:00am after screaming for hours non-stop, it's just such a huge blessing!

4. I'm grateful that my parents live just ten minutes away. The day after I had Ryker, my mom came and stayed with me in the hospital all day while Adam went to go take care of things we had left undone (we weren't prepared to have Ryker 3 and a half weeks early, so there was much to do). My parents have also been able to help bring make me meals, bring me groceries, and just be around to get to know my baby. It's also nice to be able to just hang out with them when I'm bored because Adam is gone a lot. I'm so glad to have them close by!

5. How can I not be grateful for such terrific friends. People that brought me meals after Ryker was born, who were worried about me from multiple states away and did everything they could to help me from a distance, people who have just cared and offered support through emails, phone calls, and blog comments, and even just people who gave me moral support when I felt like I was failing (breastfeeding has not been easy for me). It's great to know I have friends that are there for me for the fun stuff and the hard stuff.

6. I am so grateful for the love of my Heavenly Father that I have felt so often since the end of my pregnancy. From being put on bedrest to dealing with a fussy baby, I know my Heavenly Father is there for me and my family.

These are just a few things I have to be grateful for, but these are the ones that have been on my mind the most in the last few days. Thanks for reading! :)

3 comments:

  1. You are especially lucky to live downstairs from your inlaws. Most of us don't have the opportunity to hand over the kids to run to the grocery store and we have had to figure out how to take showers when there is no one to hold a baby. I get up at 5am every day so that I can shower before JP leaves for work. You have many blessings. Your greatest blessings though are your marriage and motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Melissa! You totally made me ball!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see you guys so happy. Darling pictures.

    Karlie and Mike Badger

    ReplyDelete