Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sick Baby

Poor little Ryker got sick last Monday with a sore throat that turned into an ear infection and a sinus infection. I've been so worried about him, since being sick at 6 weeks old can be dangerous. It's been a rough week because he has barely eaten and has been very cranky. On Monday night he decided that he would no longer nurse. This was probably because he couldn't breath and his throat hurt. I switched him to a bottle with pumped milk and he did only slightly better, eating an ounce to an ounce and a half at a time before screaming. For some reason night time seemed to be the hardest for him, spending hours at a time crying (which means I ended up crying with him).

The good news, however, is that as of last night Ryker's doctor allowed us to give him baby Tylenol and he finally ate more than one ounce, eating three whole ounces! Then afterward he slept for four hours straight and then woke up and ate another three ounces. His doctor wanted him to come back again this morning because he hadn't gained any weight in a week, actually losing an ounce and a half, but he was doing better today. His throat and ears are still red, but at least his stuffy nose isn't so bad and he seems like a happier baby, even smiling at me a couple times this morning and no major crying fits.

So, thank heavens Ryker is doing better, but I am still keeping him home for another month and a half before I let him near other people (he actually got sick at home from his 80 something year old great grandma, so it's possible to get sick even from home when sick people come too close). Hopefully he gets back to 100% soon and can start gaining weight again. I'm hopeful that'll happen very soon and he won't get near any other sick people!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, poor baby!
    It's hard when it's your baby, but just remember that whenever you feel crappy, you're just not that interested in eating either. I think especially as breastfeeding Mom's, it's easy to obsess over if they're getting enough . . . but as long as it's not really long term, and they're getting enough down to not get seriously dehydrated, the body will take care of itself. Even teeny tiny bodies. Good luck, I hope he's back to his normal self soon. I don't think anything prepares you for the heartache of sick kids! It's the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy!!! I was so sorry when my mom told me that your little Ryker was sick!! I hope he's back to 100% soon too!!!

    ReplyDelete